A simple scrape or sore might not cause alarm for most people. But for diabetic patients, an untreated scratch can turn into an open wound that could potentially lead to a limb amputation or even death. A Northwestern University team has developed a new device, called a regenerative bandage, that quickly heals these painful, hard-to-treat sores without using drugs.Read More
Having a healthy baseline HbA1c reading or improving blood glucose levels did not improve wound healing time among patients with diabetic foot ulcers, according to a new observational study. Though chronically high blood glucose levels are known harbingers of wound development, bringing those levels under control didn’t speed up healing among 270 patients seen at the Johns Hopkins Multidisciplinary Diabetic Foot and Wound Clinic over a five-year period.Read More
While local health center provides healing for injuries the body can’t heal, few community members are aware of its services. Mayor Jeremy Stutsman brought awareness to the Goshen Wound Center by touring it and proclaiming this week Wound Care Awareness Week.
Often, patients with wounds don’t realize the center can help, said Robyn Radford, director of Goshen Wound Center. Stutsman’s proclamation will help increase awareness, she said.Read More
Healogics, Inc., the nation’s leading provider of advanced wound care services, is proud to sponsor the fifth annual Wound Care Awareness Week from June 4 to June 8, 2018. Throughout this week, Healogics team members from around the country will be working together to shed light on the chronic wound epidemic and bring awareness to the advanced wound care options available.Read More
Frank Conestabile scraped his ankle last fall. Although he did not think much of it at the time, today he said he is thankful for the scrape since it just might be responsible for saving his life.Read More
‘With the hyperbaric oxygen treatment, we can help to improve the quality of people’s lives.’ About a year ago, Jacoba Yess faced the prospect of losing both legs. Ravaged by skin cancer treatments, painful ulcers covered her shins. “The surgeon came in and took a look. He was talking about amputation and I said, ‘What?’ And he says, ‘Yeah, probably two of them,’” Yess said.Read More
It is estimated that 30.3 million people in the US have diabetes. Presently, 12.2% of all U.S. adults are affected and 25% of all patients will develop a diabetic foot ulcer (DFU). Why is this important? First, DFU’s precede 85% of all diabetic lower extremity amputations. Second, the chance of needing a second amputation over the next year is 10- 15%.
Moreover, a below the knee amputation in a diabetic patient is associated with a 50% five-year mortality rate. Locally, it is estimated that in Kenton, Campbell, and Boone Counties there are approximately 12,000 active DFU’s at any given point in timeRead More
If you’re 60 or older, need a ride and happen to live in the small sunbelt town of Wickenburg, Ariz., you can call the Freedom Express. A van driven by an older adult volunteer will pick you up, for, what the name implies, free. The town of about 6,000, 60 miles outside Phoenix, has what many rural areas don’t — affordable transportation for older adults.Read More
Abstract: Chronic ulcers continue to pose a significant clinical and economic burden for both patients and wound care practitioners. Despite good standard of care (SOC), many wounds fail to heal. Wound healing requires a complex cascade of physiologic and immunologic processes as well as proper nutrition.Read More